Thursday, February 1, 2007

Back to Work

So, I have officially been back to work for 1 week and 4 days and today, the 4th day of the second week, I am working from home. Add to that the fact that last week - I had to leave early on Friday to take my darling daughter to a doctor's appointment and you may understand that I am feeling the pressures of motherhood and working and its only been less than 2 weeks.

Early this morning, my daycare provider sent me an email telling me that one of her daughter s(who are in the home w/ her while she takes care of my daughter) had a 104 degree temperature last night and although she was fine with Reese still coming to stay there today she would leave it up to me. Well, that didn't make me too comfortable as I really don't want my 3 month old ending up w/ a 104 degree fever. So, like all good "alpha" moms I went to my back up and asked my husband to ask my mother-in-law (who watches Reese 3x a week) if she could take her today. No luck - my mother-in-law was otherwise engaged w/ plans that couldn't be changed. So, I called in to let my boss know that I was going to work from home.

So, some of you may think, no big deal - why is she complaining - she gets to work from home. Well, my issue is that I feel guilty and I feel stupid because in writing my email to my boss this AM I feel like I asked for permission to work from home (something I should note) is quite normal in my office) instead of stating my need. I have read a lot about how women tend to ask for permission while men just do it and then apologize if it was not the right thing to do, which is how then end up making 24 cents on the dollar more than women.

So, now I feel like I feel guilty for not being in the office, having just come back 2 weeks ago and I feel guilty for asking permission to take care of my child.

Not off to a good start w/ this whole "alpha mom" thing now am I.

*I should note that the alpha mom thing is just a joke - I am really just trying to be a great mom, a great wife and a great employee...that should be possible right?

1 comment:

Jennifer L. said...

I think you're doing great--I know it's a hard thing to juggle (because other people tell me the same thing all the time). Hang in there. I believe in you!